Friday 13 December 2013

Our Vintage Christmas Tree: through Pictures, Word and Song

Good evening my darlings.

This is a last minute post from me to you; a virtual goodnight. I will try and make this a quick one, but I must warn you, there are rather a lot of snaps. 

O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum,
Wie treu sind deine Blaetter!
Du gruenst nicht nur,
zur Sommerzeit,
Nein auch im WInter,
wenn es schneit,
O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum,
Wie treu sind deine Blaetter!

(Oh yes, German, are you not all impressed!? I think it's spelt right but I'll blame it on Dad.)

The Christmas season is upon us and the festivities have begun. 
I have been meaning to do this post for quite some time now, I just haven't got around to it. We've been busy adorning the tree and house with many star-spangled festal decorations. We went with a traditional red and green colour scheme but we also had a 'vintage, Victorian, handmade' theme throughout. So all our decorations were wooden, or passed down over the ages, also some bought but they are very cute and vintage-y!

I thought it would be fun to share some of the memories with you all so you cam see how it looks. Enjoy x.


Since about two years, it's become a bit of a family tradition to go tree chopping (sounds fancy doesn't it?). However, it's not all it sounds. The tree's are usually very bald or lopsided and have a rather irritating tendency to die on us before Christmas Eve is even anywhere near. So this year, still sticking with a real tree (because who, just who, doesn't love that smell?!), we decided to buy our tree from Tesco's - they have really good deals on right now, in case anyone's interested. The tree is a very nice size, a bit empty around the top but, all round, a great choice. I think the 'roughness' of it adds to the home-made theme somewhat. 

We've strung our tree lights round the tree to add some twinkle and then continued on to add the many decorations (which are gradually getting more and more by the day, leading up to a boundless mass of glittery ornaments). 


We have a few of these on the tree this year. It's a little wooden hand-carved rocking horse which is part of a delightful set of various different Christmassy wooden figurines. 


These are another two of the nicest decorations on the tree. I just think the darling mouse is so cute and I love the little stocking. 


This is a gorgeous wooden decoration that was given to us by my Mom's friend and I just adore it. It has a little etched design of two reindeer and a Christmas tree and a pretty border around the edge. How sweet?!



These were both bought in the Disney store a couple of years ago and I am literally swooning at the sight of them. I think they are the most enchantingly beautiful decorations ever. The Minnie Mouse is made from metal and has a little bauble bell at the bottom and the other is a glass bell with Tinkerbell hanging inside. So pretty!


This is a handmade straw decoration which matches the theme perfectly. I think they were my Oma's and we've inherited them - we have loads of different ones: snowflakes, stars.

And there the pictures end, but the jolly times are not;
Have a very Merry Christmas,
Love Dani xxx

PPS. It's now been a two-day long post.


No comments:

Post a Comment